Sunday, June 12, 2011

late night shennanigans

So it's my first summer Sunday. Summer Sundays are the best because that Sunday night deep breath, oh Lordy it's another crazy week feeling I usually have on Sunday nights suddenly vanishes. Now the sun suddenly disappears and it's like, oh Lordy, I don't have any single thing on the calendar except hang with kids, deal with naps, hang with kids. It's a glorious thought. So the sun is setting and I'm screwing around on the computer and Elie and Sol have both been seemingly asleep for forty five minutes or so. A few times I thought I heard something, but then it was quiet again for a long spell. And then I hear the door creek. And my wild haired girl, picture a jacked up, electrocuted Einstein with a big, pink Strawberry Shortcake band-aid below her eyebrow, shuffles out. She spots some floss sitting by the computer (don't ask...) and says, Uh, Mama...uh, I, I just forgot to floss. So I give her the floss instead of the talking to she'd get on a real Sunday night. Because we're caught up in the novelty of new Sunday mode, I don't really care that much and go gently, go mellow. Let her floss. We hang. Talk to Auntie Hilary on the phone. Tell her about the sorta minty floss. And then I bring her back in the room.

The first thing I notice is that the white noise machine has been turned off. Or rather, unplugged. Then I see that both the Princess and the Cat in the Hat night lights are turned on. I put her in the bed and whisper some sort of terse remark about not playing with the outlets. I then glance into Sol's crib. It's been newly adorned with all sorts of random toys from their room, apparently while he was sleeping. I mumble something about leaving his crib alone, especially when he's asleep and she loudly whispers something about how she wanted to give him all his special babies. I tiptoe out at which point Big Sol must realize there's a party in his room, stands from his sleep, and begins jumping up and down.

Holy goodness. School or no school, won't these children just sleep already?

2 comments:

LauraT said...

Ha ha! Yes, the times Tim and I have yelled, "Just GO TO BED!" Ah, yes, parenting moments at their finest seem to appear AFTER "bedtime"....

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am certainly happy to find this. cool job!