Friday, April 20, 2012

almost there

I picked up Solomon from day-care today.  As I looked at him playing from across the room, all sturdy and confident, just hanging with his peeps all independent-like, it hit me.  Sol's about to be two.  My baby.
I lay him to sleep and then went into my room to grab something off the dresser.  On the corner of the mirror, still where the midwife left it, is the little carbon card with his footprint, the footprint she took minutes after he came out of my body.  Two years ago.

Just yesterday during lunch, some colleagues and I were sharing birth stories.  I'm very proud of both my births, very blessed to have had gentle experiences.  But Sol's birth, the way he made his entrance like it was nothing at the end of a spring Monday, well, it just makes me beam with pride.  Pride for him.  For how he's always done his best to fit into our groove.

He's saying so many things these days.  Beginning to put sentences together.  He looked at me over breakfast and said all knowingly, "Pizza Friday!"  I said, "Well, it's pizza Friday for Elie, but you get to go to Hudson's house."  He said, "Pizza, Eleeannna.  Hudson's house."  Process, process, process...

We had a great week.  My dad drove out in a car that my nephew gifted me.  Love the pay-it-forward concept.  Love it when your 24 year old nephew can gift you his car.  It was one of the best visits my dad and I have had in a long while, full of delicious dinners and late night wine chats.  Everyone who met my dad made comments like, "Wow! Your dad is so cute!"  or "Your dad is the nicest guy ever."  He is pretty cute.  And he's always been pretty popular.
My children are in constant motion....
Spring is officially here and Missoula is busting out in hues of green.  I so love this time of year.  Every fleck of sunshine is like a gift.





Solomon is obsessed with all thing musical.  He's especially fond of drums.  When I visited Brandon's room a few weeks ago, I took a pair of his drumsticks.  These are Sol's new favorite tools and he wakes up and asks for his, "Real drumsticks?"  Nothing like integration.  Old and new.  The many shades of heartbreak. 

1 comment:

Don Thomas said...

Hey Gillie,

I love your joy, your ecstatic response to birth-giving and to mothering and to discussing life with your Dad.

What an over-the-top joyful experience I had this week with your eloquent and enthusiastic Eliana and Soli---and with you and Jeff and your friends!

Love you!

Dad