Sunday, October 20, 2013

getting my groove on

I love how everything is a muscle.  Working hard and moving fast?  Muscle.  And suddenly the weeks feel more sane as they ebb from school to home to back again.  Homework managable, dinner on the table, alright.  Even after the stove finally goes kaputz.  An excuse to eat out for a few days until we get our ducks in a row, our credit cards out of the wallet. 

My mom came for Grandparent's day at our school.  My mom came and the skies were sunny, the leaves yellow, the days fall in that way that is so spectacular.  It's hard to see my mom sometimes.  She's getting older.  This is not easy for either of us.  For any of us.  I want her here always.  But we go deep and talk late into the night and, somehow, manage to find some rhyme and reason at the end of it all. 

Eliana got into the flow of fall by embracing her inner crafty madness.  Her mama is not so crafty.  I don't sew or knit, have never been on Pinterest.  But little lady loves a good project.  So damn if I can't conjure up some good juju to get something going on with those old nasty old crib sheets in the closet.  And double damn if I didn't just roll into Michael's after I took my mom to the airport, determined only to buy the fake cobweb stuff because I really did love it when I was a kid. 

I cried happy/sad tears as I pulled into my parking spot at everyone's favorite craft joint.  Wicked's, "For Good" was blasting on the stereo and Eliana was singing out like only a good girl could.  I felt so full with the love of my family, then and now and all together, the way we are all getting older, the way we are all understanding more every single day.  I want my girl to always sing out.  To always proclaim her awesomeness, cry big tears, feel big feelings.





No comments: