Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mama's Day Rad











I hereby declare today to be the best Mother's Day for me.  From rainy morning chai and snuggles in bed to meditative hot yoga downtown to more chai with Gita to impromptu shop for myself at Betty's to rad brunch at the Silk Road with my crew, to drawing and, "Wicked" Pandora with Eliana to wildflower expedition on Mt. Jumbo to Les Mis with Casey and then, finally, home again to my sweet man, this day has had just about all my passions.  I've had good exercise, good music, good food, good times with the family, good times with my girlfriends.  I've felt so calm and present all day, so settled and full of grace and gratitude.  Tonight listening to my local actors rock a very challenging piece of musical theatre, all I could think about was my family, and how many wonderful times we had together sharing music and musicals.  I remember my dad belting out his best Jean Valjean impersonation, Hilary reciting all the parts as fast as she could, dead pan, circa age 13, Brandon singing Epoinine, my mom banging bits and pieces out on the piano.  I remember the parts where we would hold hands, the way we knew instantly if we liked a certain cast member or not, the oodles of happy tears, the way we saw the show so many times in so many amazing places.  Casey and I were talking afterwards about how we are making our legacies right now, how our kids are finally getting old enough to really share in some of the things that we love with authenticity.  While Elie's too young for all the gunfire and prostitution in the show, she's not too young to hear the harmonies, to learn of the relationships that layer and deepen over the course of the piece.  She's not too young to learn that art heals, art teaches history, art is freedom, art is revolution.  She's not too young to look forward to the day when she's old enough to see these shows in the theatre, hold my hand, and cry happy tears at all the right parts. 

No comments: