Sunday, May 18, 2008

holy water

Spring is in full effect here and is far and away my favorite season. Everything is green and bursting and after the ridiculously long winter we had, I feel myself wanting to savor every moment, be outside as much as possible, bask in the balsam root wildflowers, analyze the sage grass and lavender coming up in my garden. I almost feel like I'm living in a movie - the buds on the trees, smiling families and their bike trailers, electric sunsets - something that can't be real it feels so wonderfully cheery and alive. This weekend was spent hiking in the Rattlesnake and on Mt. Jumbo, buying Alaskan halibut cheeks and arugula from the farmer's market, planting basil and parsley in our little garden, and taking many laps around the park, examining the rapid changes in the water level of the creek. The water is higher than I've ever seen it, flooding the paths we walk on, turning our little park into a tiny wetland. Tonight on our after dinner lap, I even had to take off my shoes and wade barefoot because the trail was completely flooded in a few spots. Pretty nutty. Extremely beautiful. Eliana loves to stare at the white water and listen to it roar. She particularly loves the view from the middle of the bridge. I can't imagine how tremendous it must look to her novice eyes.

No comments: