Sunday, February 8, 2009

rockin' it!

How thankful am I for my talented friends! So glad Nici captured these moments on camera for me!

Wowzers, I had a fun night last night. I had an opportunity to dance for a show called, Off the Rack. It's a benefit for Blue Mountain Clinic and a fashion show where local artists fashion attire out of condoms. Lots of splendorious folks, old and young alike, were struttin' their stuff down the catwalk at the Wilma. The same theatre, I might add, where my girl Ani sang in July and my boyfriend, Michael Franti, sang last spring. Something about the venue intimidated me and it took me a while to commit to the gig. I didn't want to overextend myself and have to spend too much time away from my family rehearsing.

But oooh, was it worth it!

Oh how I love performing! It's such a wild rush when it goes well. Such a high. The piece I choreographed in the summer when I was truly feeling like I had recovered my old mojo back. It's a strong, aerobic, sultry number that is a blast to perform. And what a treat it was to dance with Heather. I have very high standards for who I perform with and she's pretty much the top of the line around these parts. We had a blast.

And it's true how empowering it is as a mama to do things that make you feel super fantastic about yourself. I woke up this morning feeling like a million bucks. I was so present with Eliana, so in love with my husband and my girlfriends and my sweet and progressive town.

We went out for a drink afterwards to celebrate Nici's birthday (Nici who rocked it down the runway with sweet Margot in her sprout pouch!) and I felt like all I kept saying was, "I love it here! I love you guys! That was so much fun!"

It's such a wonderful feeling to really embrace your community and know that you live in a place that is totally right for you. Give me some sunshine, a taste of local culture, a round of cocktails with my beautiful friends, and I'm absolutely content. Top that with a wild, chatty, blue-eyed, twenty pound wonder who just wants to snuggle in bed with her mama and papa the next morning -- it truly doesn't get much better.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

man, you are one hot mamita!!
thanks for the sweet message yesterday.
i am having a wacky idea of going down to pasadena for the night (by myself!!) next weekend cause we'll already be in monterey and leeor has a conference sooooo . . . the lineage girls are going dancing and you have officially inspired me to go with them! even though i'm freaking out. let's talk.

don thomas said...

Gillie,
My Sweet Beautiful Daughter,
I am pleased that, if you are going to dance so vigorously, you are at least well protected.

I love you and your fantastic Eliana,

Dad

dig this chick said...

OK your dad's comment made me laugh! That was such a fun night. And you. You were brilliant. Love watching you dance.

Anonymous said...

Gillie,

Hug sweet Eliana for me.

I'm glad that the brilliance of my wittiness made at least one person laugh.

Re condoms---
I get emails regularly from Planned Parenthood.

Go to http://mail.google.com/mail/?hl=en&tab=wm#inbox/11f74ee3c60efe13
The condom ads they show there (YouTube) provide endorphin-raising laughs.

Love,

Dad

Melissa Steele said...

Gillie,
It's so awesome that you still have it in you. Driving your passion. I'm jealous! Lets talk soon we have so much catching up to do. oxoxox