Sunday, May 10, 2009

second mama's day


It will be fun to watch how my Mother's Day experiences (and, I guess, all my holiday experiences) will change from year to year as my chicken ages. One of my favorite pictures ever of Eliana was taken on Mother's Day last year. She was wearing this ridiculous flower hat and sat beautifully in her stroller and was so easy and content.
Eliana then...and now...
This year that little dimply grin is full of mischief and toddlerhoood. Jeff had to work hard, work actively, just in the first two hours after she awoke to keep her from waking me up. If I'm around, she's not really into me keeping my distance. Thankfully I got some much needed extra sleep after staying up late and whooping it up at the Mother's Day eve bash and grand unveiling partay of Mamalode. It's a kickin' party at a big fitness place on the edge of town. Free yoga and pilates, use of hottub and pool, and then vino and lots and lots of chatty cathy mamas. I was extra excited because a piece I wrote was published in the magazine, making it feel even more personal and lovely. The party kind of helps take care of all mama's day expectations early. You've already gone for it. Whatever your man has planned is extra icing on an already rockin' time.

So when I was ready to commit to getting out of bed, Jeff, Els and I headed to the Finn and Porter for a lovely brunch. While it felt kinda spendy and a bit jumpy because one of us was always chasing Els around the place, it helped soak up my vino belly and provided me with some excellent morsels of morning goodness. We returned and put Elie to sleep. Jeff and I promptly found ourselves lying down and soon snoozing as well, so sweet, so sweet.. After the power nap if was sola time for me on my mountain. Oh how I love that mountain. It was an extra special hike because everything is so green and my favorite wildflowers are in full effect. I was so socially wiped out that I just zoned out to my tunes and took pictures of my favorite views -- the sacred tree, the balsam rootm the new blooms and angle of valley meeting valley. It was a much needed me moment. Love those. Love that the clarity and strength accomplished by two hours on the mountain seems to be one of the very best ways for me to find perspective.

When I returned Jeff and Els were happily playing in the yard. I love it when they have sweet time together. She does so much better with him when I'm not around. She so silly and adventurous in a way that she isn't with me. We all hung for a while and then decided to go downtown and take Elie for her first ice-cream cone.
Big, big hit and almost worth the sugar crashing aftermath that followed a few hours later in the Good Food Store. A park stint followed the vanilla adventure and then home where Jeffy cooked me a lovely dinner after Els went down. We sat in the sun on our deck, the green mountain all aglow in the background, the steak perfect with the Spanish wine, and I was filled with nothing but gratitude and contentment. Even as Jeff cleared the plates I just kept zoning out on the view -- the already overgrown yard, the salvias and lupine that are making their grand reappearances from the earth, the rasberry patch that is finally taking over like I'd hoped, and Mount Jumbo, soft and cushiony, green and alive and working for me.

I find myself again looking for a solid synonym for "blessed" for "gratitude". This day was built of the simple, astondingly beautiful things that make up my life. My girl and husband. My home. My little town. My 'yard' of open space. The security and goodness of my friendships. I close the day in anticipaiton of a lifetime of simple beauty. Of grace. Of honesty and laughter, one season moving into the next. The apple blossoms shine their pink smiles year after year. The lavendar always comes back fuller and more fragrant.

3 comments:

Janine Evans said...

beautiful. Happy Mother's Day, Gillie.

Melissa said...

So glad you had such a nice day. That flower picture of Elie seems like it was taken 5 minutes ago instead of a whole year. Crazy.
xo

dig this chick said...

lovin you and your fam. yay mamahood, toddler girls, spring greens and friendships.