Thursday, May 14, 2009

woah.



Woah. I'm having one of those weeks. Not just with me or feeling busy or overextended or totally wiped from working hard. But woah like holy shit, my kid (cuz she is) is doing all sorts of wild things and making incredible connections and it's all happening so fast and I can't even attempt to capture it all. And woah, can I even try to keep up? Woah, what will it be like in a month when I get to be with her all day, everyday, and I get to see all those synapses firing so fast, so fast, all those jokes and new moves and new loves and new obsessions.

She has changed so much, just in the week since we've been back from Cali.

She was on a huge hunger strike there. Like a disturbing one. My mama was so polite about it all, but it was sort of ridiculous and a bit embarassing. Even a big, perfect bowl of vanilla ice cream and she would say, "No!" and run out of the room. I had one lucky afternoon with edamame and hoped that those little green pellets would get her through the rest of the trip because I was sure as heck she wouldn't eat again. Perhaps it was the heat. Or her huge new mouth of teeth. Or the wild energy of the big city. But it doesn't matter because now we're back and eating eggs and chicken, broccoli and rice, happy as a clam. Who the heck knows?

And the potty. We had the whole shit in the tub thang. Followed by a super sicked out, stressed out mama, Eliana and her big eyes stating, "Shower? Shower?" as if it were totally normal to poop in the tub and then get to get your bum all washed and clean in the shower. And who, I ask you, is left with the ladle and the 409? Okay...I'll spare you.

So, needless to say, I've been a bit nerviosa bathing with my babe. So there she is, about to get in the tub, and she says, "Shower? Potty?" before we get in. And she sits, all cozy in her big towel, and we encourage her to push and make all these ridiculous grunting noises, all the while laughing and laughing at the whole scene. She mimics the grunts, one upping us with hysterical facial expressions. And then she says, "All done." And, of course, there isn't anything in the potty, but we wipe her any way and tell her she did a great job, let her flush the toilet.

Soon she's in the bath saying, "Noodlies?" as if she's just any old kid who actually eats.

When she's all snuggly and happy in her bed later, she asks for a cracker, just to drive her point home.

It's such a rich and wild time. Green seems to be bursting from the sky. Sky that is thunderheads, then blinding blue, sweaters, then tanks. It's a perfect time to have an ever-changing girl. And a mama with many, many busy, busy lives.

We'll ride this wild spring wave til the sun becomes secure, the heat and brown hills, long, lazy summer days.

Though I have a hunch someone will continue to keep things new.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

oh man, this post is just driving home my desire to come visit and get an in-person glimpse of your wildcat!! those pictures! her with the eyes matching the towel. oh, avi has no idea how hard he is gonna fall . . .

so let's figure it out. i'm home tomorrow, online tonight. xo

Nicole said...

This all reminds me of my little girl. She is not a big eater and she is a little peanut, even at 4 1/2. She is picky as hell and I have learned to let it go. She is happy. Eliana is beautifully spirited and full of light. You are an amazing mama! Hard to keep up with these ever changing incredible little beings...