Wednesday, April 13, 2011

a little spring snow

A couple months ago when I was freaking out about this long, white winter, I said something along these lines to Jeff: I don't care where I go, I just need to go somewhere where I can see the sunshine during spring break. I don't think you understand that I'm going a little bit insane.

The next morning he and his sister did some research on their family time share and hooked us up with a couple of lovely condos in Jackson Hole. There's always sun in Jackson, honey, he said reassuringly. I love the cosmopolitan allure, the price was right, the drive manageable, and it was a way for us to spend the week with his parents who are back in Montana. After checking out a few restaurant menus, I was sold.

And while the week was lovely, the sun did not shine.

So I guess that's a mark of a good vacation. I came home well-rested, satisfied, relaxed without getting what I initially wanted (a sweltering, tropical beach...). Instead I played and hung hard with family, old and young alike, watched my kiddos get really into each other, nursed my son whenever I wanted, ate delicious food, cross-country skied in an insanely gorgeous national park, took two of the most challenging and most inspirational yoga classes of my life, actually enjoyed downhill skiing, snuggled with my husband, and read a few really great books.









Oh, and saw a bit of wildlife, namely a really big moose. Jeff then embarked on his latest photography installment, "13 (or so...) Ways of Looking at a Moose".



He even woke Elie from a nap and brought her outside to see the big boy. Morty was so excited, we had to stop him from going right up and petting the big guy.


Thankfully, Mr. Moose was the impetus for a few pretty hilarious family shots. Take note of the barefoot children and how hard Elie's rockin' her Flock of Seagulls do (and be sure to catch the moose in the background).


Absolutely nothing to complain about.

Our teacher's schedule seems to be a continuous saving grace in our hectic lives. Just when things really get wild, we come to another break and we can all re-connect, re-root. Spring break is particularly fun because when you get back to school, you know that the year is almost over. Unfortunately, so do the children who bring some awesome, sunshine-y energy into their spring days. Ah, to spend your days with eight year olds. A blessing. A really high-energy, pinball like blessing. Love those kids. But damn it's amazing how much energy a one hour and fifteen minute class can zap from this tuckered mama. Whose son, by the way, turns one in a mere two weeks. And, by the way, whose son still does not sleep through the night. Any tips out there? God knows in Jackson he was up like every two hours because he could smell me right there in our little room. Boobhound, that boy is! Now that we're back home, he's generally up once a night and then again pretty early in the morning. Jeff has tried to go to him but he freaks until he sees me. It's really not risk waking Eliana up cuz of course, I'm up anyway. I'm hoping something magical happens when he turns one, like he just knows and starts sleeping thirteen hour stretches like his sister did. But I know this is just wishful thinking. Again, I'm always amazed at how much I get done in a day, even without a whole lot of consistent sleep.

So we roll with it. God knows that little boy should be earning some zzzz's. He is a mover and a shaker if ever there was one. Tried jumping on the trampoline yesterday. Ate soap. Ate dog food. Tried to run. Laughed really really hard. Love him. And oh how these cool spring days remind me of the days leading up to his birth. But that's another post.

No comments: