Sunday, January 29, 2012

my babies


My babies are getting so big. The things that they say. The way they relate. To each other. To me. To their world. The other day Eliana was lamenting the fact that she didn't get to spend the day with Solomon. But mama! He's my one and only true love! Wow. There's a little princess-ease getting into the mix. But dang if it isn't sweet. And Soli. I asked him yesterday if the bath was too hot. No, warm, he replied. What? Warm? Where the heck did he get that vocabulary. And then an hour or so later I was singing Baby Beluga, like I do every night. "Is the water warm, is your mama home..." and there it was. Warm! They are just little sponges these kids. Sweet, squishy, adorable little sponges.

The weekend flew by. We are crazy right now with work and school and my upcoming performance. The school is getting accredited this week. Years of work coming down to one lengthy written report and three days in the physical space. Lots of pressure and intensity. Anxiety. We feel so passionately about our little school so to have a team from all over come with their microscope is intense, to say the least. But intensity can be fun. Always enlightening.

I love them all so much, the members of my little household. There wasn't enough down time together this weekend. Soli and I had a mama/son day yesterday which involved Target and Best Buy. Homeboy is not exactly the funnest dude to shop with (are dudes ever fun to shop with?) I thought he'd be all content to chill in the cart but...alas...he hurled himself in and out, ran down the aisles, laid himself out on counters, hurled random crap into the basket. He never stops moving, my Sol. I upgraded our ipod dock with money I don't have. Because I'm pretty sure the most beloved toy around these parts is music. And Lord knows I like to bust it loud. And so do my kids. So I bought a system that sounds good (thanks for the coaching, Mama!) and we did some really, really good jamming. Eliana's latest hit is, "Someone Like You" by Adele. You should see the way she shakes her head with vehemence on the line, "I want NOTHING but the best for you....". She's got an ear. And Sol's got the beat. My goal is to add a new song to their reportoire every weekend. Right now we're pretty stuck on Glee and Michael Franti (a total of three way overplayed songs...). But I'll take it. I'll take them.

They've only been in bed for eight minutes and I miss them already. Next week will bring more intensity, more business, more wild days. I want NOTHING but the best from them.

No comments: