Sunday, February 26, 2012

yo soy la mama

At the end of the day, I am the mama. I am their mama. They need me. Really, like, a lot, as Eliana would say. So I sit here and take a deep breath and remind myself that as their mom, I have a tremendous duty. I am to keep them safe and happy, fed and clean. I am to laugh, dance, read, dress up, goof ball with them. I am to show them the best version of myself, of the world.


I am also the one that they will take risks with. Try out their alter-egos. Their tired, cranky, feverish, frustrated selves. I am a punching bag for all that doesn't make sense in their worlds. And sometimes it makes for a really long weekend.


But then it's another busy week and I just can't get enough of them. I'm just waiting for that moment when I can greet Elie at her preschool door, watch her run into my arms. Find Soli at daycare, see his smile spread when he spots me through the window.

But it's not always that way.
Sometimes when I finally see them, after all the hours and meetings and read alouds and spelling tests, it's crumble and dissolve that greets me.

And that's okay.
That's my job.

I'm their mama.

So we roll through this life, ready to soak it all up, ready to cry and scream and marvel and wonder. We are so in this together. In like nothing I've known before.

No comments: