Friday, January 17, 2014

my girl

I'm not really sure what's happened in the last two weeks.  But Eliana is growing-up.  Right before my eyes.  Way too fast.  She's had a big week.  Back to school and homework and long days of learning and focus.  A strange new sensitivity about having to go to after-care that lands her in sweetly pathetic bouts of tears.  A loose front tooth.  Extra wild, long hair.  Dramatic singing performances.  A "Frozen" themed tea party she hosted (she hand-wrote invitations, made place mats, cut snowflakes for decorations, set the "tavle" -- she says her 'v's like a Columbian, baked carrot muffins, hibiscus tea -- while it sounds sorta Pinterest it was exceedingly homespun and awesome and I really didn't do a whole lot except help with the funky muffins...) that went really, really well until it ended and then she melted down like the it was the end of the world.  An intense sensitivity.  She looks huge all of the sudden too.  Strong legs and booty out of nowhere.  I can barely carry her and she eats more than I do.  Is this what happens at six and a half?

Today in yoga this woman brought her three or four year old into the studio.  The little girl had a mat and a few coloring things.  It was a heated studio, so the sweet thing was just in her little cotton panties.  She was silent and graceful and didn't distract from the packed class.  At the end of the class, the teacher brought her up to the front to help lead the final, "om."  Then the girl's sweet little voice rang out in a high-pitched, "Namaste."  It was really lovely.

But all I could think about when I saw this little girl was, I no longer have a baby.  I have a girl.  If I bring Eliana to yoga, she will try her darndest to actually 'do' yoga.  She will be long on the mat during Shavasana, will take her Tree really seriously and will melt into Pigeon with a sigh and some sort of made-for-TV-movie comment, ("Mama!  This feels really relaxing!") 

The little baby that danced between my legs, that snuggled into my body, she's a big, strong, capable, emotional, imaginative, creative, intense child.  I am so full of pride for every ounce of her complexity, for her grace and sensitivity.  The wonder holds on...




No comments: