Saturday, March 8, 2014

Forty things, for forty

It's two minutes shy of my fortieth birthday.  It's late and the day has been full.  But, alas, the challenge of a forty things gratitude practice lures me in, late night and all. 

Forty things to be grateful for:

1.  My family.  Jeff and his big brain, huge heart, how well he knows me.  Eliana and her kindness and creativity.  Soli and his wild-abandon and passionate ways.

2.  My mama's gifts of absolute love and devotion.  Her intelligence and insight.

3.  My dad's love for connection and art, for travel and poetry.

4.  Hilary and every single thing about her.  The way she loves me inside and out.

5.  The rest of my siblings and how they've always supported me, guided me, held me.

6.  Earrings.  Especially leather ones.  Especially my silver, pleather dangles.

7.  Water -- water in my glass, water in the tub, water in the river, water in the sea.

8.  Open space.  Mt. Jumbo.  Waterworks.  Greenough Park.

9.  My bed.  Flannel sheets. 

10.  Books, books and more books.  Books in the bath.  Books in the hot tub.  Books in piles at my bedside.

11.  Girlfriends.  Melissa on the line, my Missoula posse, their loud laughter and adventurous ways. 

12.  Writing.  My journals.  This blog.  The poems that have begun to grace my life again.  The wisdom of the muse.

13.  Early morning yoga sessions.  My sandalwood candle.  My puffy pink mat.  Pandora.  My Osho zen cards and their magical ways. 

14.  Food.  Indian food.  Burritos.  Hot sauce.  Cheese.  Sushi.  Fruit.  Salads.  Green curry.  Food.

15.  Tipu's chai and vanilla soymilk every morning.

16.  Dancing to loud music.  Doing lots and lots of turns.

17.  Barefeet on sand.

18.  My body in the ocean.

19.  Music.  The voices of my ladies, the voice of my boyfriend, Michael Franti, the throw backs and pop songs, the heartfelt power ballads.  Bring it all.

20.  Fashion.  Scarves.  Necklines.  Color.  Soft fabrics.  Comfy boots.  Knee-high socks. 

21.  The art on my walls.

22.  My little blue lamp with the girl on the swing.

23.  Watching my kids sing along to, "Frozen."

24.  My hair dyed for the first time today and blown straight.

25.  Coconut oil for my skin.

26.  Facials and massages.

27.  Missoula.

28.  California.

29.  Mexico.

30.  All the places I've yet to visit.

31.  Tipi camp.  That I get to go back.  That it's only a five hour drive away.

32.  Downtown.  How I love to buy special treats for myself from different places.  How I like to check out the sale racks and put on oil and lotion samples.

33.  This gorgeous house.  The deck in the summertime.  The mellow neighborhood and kind folks.

34.  My jewelry.  My wedding rings and necklace collection.  My ability to accessorize. 

35.  The rhythm in my bones.

36.  My smile.

37.  Sunshine.

38.  Listening to songs that I grew up with.

39.  Dance parties.

40.  Birthdays. 

3 comments:

The Practice of Yes! said...

I LOVE this Gil! What a perfect birthday thing to do. Gratitude is the best. YOU are the best!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I'm so grateful for our time together.

LOVE,
Bex

The Practice of Yes! said...

I LOVE this Gil! What a perfect birthday thing to do. Gratitude is the best. YOU are the best!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I'm so grateful for our time together.

LOVE,
Bex

Melissa said...

What a great list! Love you and look forward to full celebration!!!