Monday, June 30, 2014

holy hell, carmel

And somehow we made it.  Even after our plane was cancelled.  Even after we lost time and waited in rental car lines and braved Friday afternoon Bay area traffic.  We made it.  Our first weekend away in ages.  And man was it lovely.  Brief.  But fantastic. 

The gods of sunshine shined down upon us and our one full day in Carmel was almost tropical in feel.  After a late night Friday of settling into our groove at the historic Cali lodge, our groom buddy's Thai surfer pal cooking up amazing treats on the outdoor grill, I fell asleep with a happy belly and a full heart.  When Jeffy's alarm woke us at six a.m. so that he could go surf, I was moderately bummed not to be sleeping in more.  But then my honey invited me to the beach.  And I realized that I had that kind of freedom.  To jam my book in my bag, and hit the sand, no other planning or packing necessary.  It was perfect.  I love watching the day begin on the water.  The way the fog lifts.  The quiet of the morning.  As the sun slowly rose, I watched my husband greet wave after wave, his smile as expansive as the horizon.  Whenever a wave was particularly splendid, he'd check to see if I'd seen him and then flash me a giant thumbs up.  I was pretty in love.




After many hours of lounging and reading and stretching on the sand and wandering up and down the shore, we decided to go big with a romantic lunch.  I picked a little French place with alfresco dining straight out of Europe -- white stucco, over-flowing ivy, huge terracotta pots spilling forth orange and purple blossoms.  We had oysters on the half shell and crab cakes, an ahi salad nicoise, white wine.  I really could have sat there forever, my face shaded by a huge umbrella, the waiter so attentive, my husband so handsome. 

The wedding was that afternoon, set beneath a massive oak tree high on a hill.  I have a thing for oak trees.  I grew up around them, feel safe amongst their curled and knotted branches all whirl and swirl and wisdom. 

The wedding was everything that is wonderful about romance and commitment.  It was simple and honest and heartfelt and intimate.  So many aspects of the whole weekend reminded me of our wedding weekend almost ten years ago.  The coming together of friends from different pieces of our lives, the melding of families, a mellow vibe, ensconced in nature. 



 But alas, all good things have to end, sometimes somewhat quickly after they began.  Sunday was a travel day and while I was super sad to bid adieu to the homeland, my Soli's kisses and my Elie's voice were calling me home.  They had an amazing time with their Nana, all swimming pool frolics and diner dates, so happy and confident they are off on their own.  So I guess it was a win-win.  We were able to be together.  They were able to be together.  And, today, we get to all come back together.  With sand in my hair and gratitude in my heart.





No comments: