Saturday, January 10, 2015

january in montana

The ice is thick in front of my house
deer hover together,
hoard the single patch of grass,
stare us down as if to say
I dare you,
you're on my turf now,
we walk up the slick hill
toes burrow into hints of dirty snow,
each move calculated, focused and
we talk and talk
debrief the two weeks apart,
I tell of sand and waves,
the little apartment by the sea and
how Eliana would walk to the tienda in the mornings,
safe to cross the cobblestones for
fresh eggs as we watch our feet
and a bald eagle,
huge, white and shining
sweeps right past our heads,
I've never seen one so close before,
he dares us to stop.
I smile into the eyes of my beautiful friends
Robyn tells us that when we see an eagle that close
it places reminds us how close we are
to the divine.
At the peace sign we look out over the valley,
I tell them about the mama and baby whale
their little show on our last sunset,
and the ridiculouly small sea turtles,
the way they made their perilous waddle down
the clean, raked sand,
and I feel so full
even though it's hard in the cold,
even though life is work,
I love this valley,
I love my girls,
my students,
my children,
my husband,
my home.
Really,
the divine
abounds.

No comments: