Monday, April 28, 2008

kid stuff






Eliana's all into kids stuff these days. Legos, her player piano, books, stuffed animals. She even figured out that her little, wooden "Eliana" stool is actually a puzzle and now motors over and pulls the pieces out. I can hardly keep up! It's really too much fun. And boy is she strong! She manages to lift and maneuver things I never dreamed imaginable, hoisting herself up on every and anything. I remember when I thought she would never be interested in her toys, actually wondering what I was going to do with all of the ridiculous, lovely things we were given when she was born. Now I put her on the floor in her room and she crawls devilishly fast over to her toy basket and starts to pull things out one by one to examine, clap together, laugh at. I can even put her in her crib, surrounded by toys, and she just plays while I run around and attempt to keep the house tidy. It was so great to have my dad and Mary here, the last in the installment of Eliana's visitors. He read bunny with her, sang songs with her piano, delighted in her dimples and marveled at all her vivaciousness and wonder. They were here for barely 48 hours, in between city stops before they embark on their seventh pilgrimage to Malawi to work with HIV positive women and children. It's pretty inspiring to watch people at that point in their lives still dedicated to dreaming big and ardent dedication to something so much larger than themselves. After working as a doctor in the ER for nearly 40 years and raising eight children, my dad is still approaching life full speed ahead, living with gusto, grit and heart. What marvelous models my little one has to inspire her to live with passion and determination. You can already see it in the way she laughs at her duck or bangs board books together.

No comments: