Saturday, July 12, 2008

elie's montana summer







My love for Montana always grows exponentially during the summer months. We have been enjoying gorgeous, mild days, the hills have still not turned completely brown, and all the flowers have finally burst forth from the ground. The market is hopping. The Rattlesnake smells piney and fragrant. The parking lot is like Disneyland. We are not the only folks enjoying this mountain state these days. I met a fellow in the lot yesterday from Pasadena. He said, "Wow. You finally got out, huh?"

It doesn't feel like that to me. I certainly miss plenty of things about city living, most importantly, living in close proximity of my family. It does feel like a tremendous gift, though, to give my child. To give her these mountains. Time to dip her toes in the creek. To eat mint and basil leaves from the garden. Little friends that are a simple walk away. We spotted two bear cubs by the creek yesterday. She fell in love with horses when we were at the ranch over fourth of July weekend. She's certainly a little mountain girl. And while I could have never imagined this life for myself ten years ago, I wouldn't change a thing.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

What a gorgeous family you are. Elie is storing up so much goodness from the Montana earth. You inspire me! We bought seeds today--basil, mint, rosemary. Um, now what? xo, M

dig this chick said...

SO glad you are here in Montana...I just witnessed little E (who seems like a teenager compared to bug) eating the herbs straight out of the pot on the back deck with stars in her eyes. Missoula summers are greatest.

I shouldn't have eaten two scoops of ice cream...