Thursday, July 16, 2009

two today

This time, two years ago. I had probably moved from pacing and swaying that baby down to the tub and the blaring pulse of the jets. During a contraction my sister and husband and doula would grab another part of my body and dig their fists in. And then I'd relax again.

A few hours from now, my little girl would fly from my body like the wild child she is. Adventurous, determined. She would take my little world, the universe that as I knew it, and shake it up. Hard.

She was so fragile then. Helpless. Teeny. Pink.

Unknown.

Two years have flown by and there she is, and I know her so, so well.
And every part of her is all I could have ever, ever asked for.

2 comments:

Janine Evans said...

Happy BIRTHday to a beautiful girl and her amazing mama.

Kelle said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Eliana! Birthdays are magical for mamas for the simple reason they give us that little window back to that life-changing day when they took that first breath in our arms. I've replayed it a trillion times. And all the sweet joys you've embraced since! Have a happy day!