Wednesday, April 14, 2010

perfect

photo by nici

I love where I live. I know I say it again and again, but I really, really love where I live. This past weekend my friend's threw me a shower. Now put everything you've ever had in your mind about baby showers away and picture this:

My girlfriend's show up at my house with mugs of coffee, savory snacks and gusto to party. We pile in the car and follow the highway through the mountains. The day is sunny and clear, the weather crisp, snow still shines on the craggy mountains. We stop along the way at some teeny tiny bakery that my girlfriend says has amazing homemade pastries. I find myself a power necklace, made by a local artist. All smooth shells and wood shaped like the sun's rays. I throw down money with abandon, with complete certainty that I need this piece of jewelery. It feels so good to indulge myself.


After an hour or so driving along the pristine Flathead River, we pull up to Quinn's Hot Springs. We check into our cabins, all woodsy and perfect. After more savory snacks and the party girl's cracking into their beers, we head for the tubs. There are five different tubs here, all different temperatures -- perfect for pregos and non alike. I find my tub and settle in. We soak and chat and chat and soak. At various points more carloads of BFF's arrive, so we are finally ten in all. I sip lemon water while my girlfriend's order drinks from the bartender who takes poolside orders. After hours of splendorious, weightless, mineral bath basking, we head back to the cabins.


We congregate in the party cabin. We are ten girls, two infants, two pregos -- making 14 in all. Joellen busts out some special smelling salts and rubs and gets busy on my feet. Mary's on my hands. They go around the circle telling me why they love me. Why I'll be able to handle this new journey. What my gifts are. Casey sings a song she's written for me. Bri sings a song we used to sing together. Nici reads a poem. Gifts are open. Gifts just as much for me as for my little guy. Pedi and massage and hair straightener of my very own. They know me so well.


At eight it's time for our dinner reservation. Bottles of wine and tenderloins are ordered. More talking, more laughing, more decadence. After dinner we head into the bar where karaoke night's on fire, all sorts of hysterical Montanan's are tapping their toes and getting nasty on the dance floor. Joe busts some Janis Joplin and blows the rest of the folks out of the water. We're ready to keep shaking, keep singing, but the girl's with babes are asked to leave the bar. Mind you, their babes are asleep in matching slings. Not exactly causing much of a stir. But we head out like a band of tough, dissed mama's, ready to bring our fun to somewhere more accepting.

Back to headquarters for more talking, more chocolate. Eventually we head to our rooms. The two pregos and the two mama's with new babes sleep together. Solidarity in our sleeplessness even though those two delicious babes never cry. Like not once. The whole weekend. That's enough to make a girl feel optimistic about numero dos.

The morning was more perfection. Stumbling out to the hot springs, coffee cups in hand, we have a last, luxurious soak. Followed by a massive breakfast. I really couldn't ask for more. We head back to Missoula a little quieter than when we left. With less to bitch about. More to appreciate. Last quiet moments to savor. Time without anyone asking anything of us.

When I get home I am supremely relaxed. Eliana's still napping. I crawl into my beautiful bed and wait for her to wake. My husband has surprised me by tackling the huge project that is our basement. I am flooded with gratitude. So happy to see him. So appreciative. I am calm. I am so, so ready.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

and so, so beautiful mamita!

love you!

Janine Evans said...

wow. just...wow.

dig this chick said...

Oh babe. So ready! That was an amazing evening away. So rejuvenating for us all. Perfect. Love that Ruby and I got to share slumber with you and your boy.

hey....photo shoot this week?! xo

don thomas said...

Gillie,
I am always rushing around to catch up with all the screaming demands of my computer. When I hit "Baby Kessler" I always get slowed down. I find myself going back---way back---to read all your wonderful words and watch your beautiful Eliana change in front of my eyes. Usually then I rush on, always behind with the goals I have set for myself. But when I leave your blog, I am smiling for several hours and delighting in the joy of your life.

Watching you thrills me!

You just jump in head over toenails toward life and grab it and squeeze it for all the shimmering joy that's there---and you invest a fortune into building friendships. And even when interest on the investment is not what your after, all that love comes rushing back toward your oversized preg-body like an avalanche.

I went back and looked again at the gorgeous Oregon photos.

And your Eliana's elegant reasoning and language skills leave breathless---and beaming.

"Mama, I'll nurse my brother. I'm really good at it. You just let me do it. And you hold me. That sounds like a plan?"

Mary and I are in Dallas and Abilene for the week.

Take good care of you and Eliana and Jeff---and the little him.

Love,

Dad

LauraT said...

When are you due? I feel so out of the loop. I remember the odd sorrow of looking at Elena, pregnant with Camille, and thinking, "My special time with her will be coming to an end as we welcome this next little one." My one on one bond with her would have to crack open and let one more in...and then another...and so on and so forth. I'm glad you have such FABULOUS friends. God bless this delivery and next season of life. It's all good! Call me if you need any help, hope, tips, a shoulder to cry on - been there, done that! Laura

Anonymous said...

oh, gil! i loved reading this!!! makes me ache for you and montana so. i am so so glad you got the perfect celebration for this new fella. i can't wait to meet him!

love love.
bex

Casey said...

I have almost commented on this so many times and been interrupted. I started to comment today just to tell you that I love these photos so much I don't mind that there isn't a new post! I click here just to see them every once in a while. This morning I am so glad I clicked and am attempting to comment again because it gave me the chance to read your dad's comment. His words brought me to tears as it's so right on about how it feels to read baby kessler, and to watch you glide through your life. I am so lucky to be one of those friendships that you invest a fortune into with no expectation of return. It makes returning the investment so pure and spiritually fulfilling for me. I love you so so much.