Friday, July 9, 2010

bedroom




I remember when my bedroom was my least favorite room in the house. Ugly gray paint covered a gazillion layers of heinous wallpaper. A last minute, pre-wedding project found us scraping the walls in July heat, testing our love and patience as we scraped away with frustration, my willy-nilly ways a mega frustration for my Virgo hubby.

Last summer I decided to take my room back. It started with a red parasol that Casey brought back from San Francisco for Els. Then new artwork from a little gallery on the Oregon coast and a funky Portland street fair. I put the walls back together with objects of beauty. Which reminds me of Eliana's new pre-bed request:

I need something, Mama.
What do you need, Babe?
I need something beautiful. And special. And, and, and SHINY.

That's kinda what my room needed. Once those special, shiny, beautiful things found their place, it all came together.

And then I had brother in that bed. Looking at those walls. Surrounded by that creamsicle orange. And now I love it even more.

Those little walls house three of us now. The bench for Brother's bucket has been expanded and a lady flying a kite hangs above his head. He smiled today when I placed him in that teeny corner. His corner. I adore him. And of course Happy tries to shimmy her long body into his bucket every morning (the one thing that the poor boy has that is just his...). It's kinda a bummer to have to start the day asking her not to do something, but so it goes. She's pushing and loving in equal parts, testing us all, adoring us all. She is, after all, Happy Sad.

And so it goes. Lazy summer days. Naps and nursings and lots and lots of books and songs. Four precious walls. Four people that love to share space.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Love these photos of your beautiful kids! xoxo

Anonymous said...

So beautiful, Gil! I love you and your sass and your gorgeous little children so. I'm so glad you sparkled up your room!