Monday, July 26, 2010

moments




Today both Eliana and Solomon had their well child visits. I woke up in mega mama mode. For whatever ridiculous reason, taking my children to the doctor always brings up this funny feeling in me. I always want to look good in that real mama way. Case in point, today I wore linen. Hardly ever do I wear anything that can wrinkle. And I opted for my fancy but sensible sandals instead of my daily normal flip-flops. I put Eliana in her birthday dress and combed out her dreaded mess of hair. Solomon wore pants.

Why? Do I think the doctor is going to judge us on our duds? No. I know she doesn't judge us. In fact, I think she really likes us. Perhaps it's out of respect to my profession. I want to represent as a mama. Want to wear it well. Want to walk proud and take my job seriously. Perhaps that's what's up with the collar.

So the kiddos are thriving. Solomon's massive and super strong. Eliana's, after her first year of monthly weigh in's that lurked around the 2nd percentile, has finally made it into the 26th percentile for weight. Little guy had his first shots today and after an intense reactive scream, was content to nurse himself into the slumber in which he remains. Eliana was thrilled to talk about how she didn't need a pokie needle in her arm, but her baby brother did. She was also thrilled to talk on and on and on to Dr. Judy about any random detail in her life. We were in the office for almost two hours. No wonder I wanted us to look good!

It feels like summer is beginning to change shape again. In a week we leave for the coast for two weeks and when we return, Jeff will be back at work in his new, year-round administrative post. Another fleeting phase. Mamahood just feels wrought with fleeting phases.

Casey captured some of the moments yesterday with her camera. And while I certainly do not look like a mama in linen, I look like a happy mama. A devoted mama head over heels in love with the two amazing creatures who grew in her belly. A mama who sometimes can't believe that those perfect creatures are really hers, are really hers for keeps.

This is as good as it gets.

No comments: