Wednesday, September 15, 2010

and sometimes it's really hard

And that's okay. Because a full life wouldn't be full if it was sometimes hard. Or something like that. One of the big bad challenges I've been dealt is the curse of the over-doer. I have always done too much, tried to put too much into one day, be too many things for too many people. About halfway through teaching my yoga class yesterday after an already excruciatingly long day involving a transitioning toddler and her meltdowns and her first time ever, Go away, Mommy! I don't like you! I just want to stay here by myself, a nursing baby and his needs, 40 brilliant children and their ideas and collective need to be heard, a beautiful husband and his desire to fix, and...the kicker...a freaking enormous batch of crabapple jelly that didn't set...I hit my wall. And with that wall came lots of tears that had no where to go but out so they came and came and came. Because sometimes a nursing mama who's hair is falling out just needs to cry. And I have to assume that I'm not the only mama who sometimes just feels so damn spent and frustrated. It is so constant. There is always so much to do. And I want to do it all well. I'm kinda getting off on trying to do it all well.

My nanny friend asked me today, Are you type A?

I had to laugh. Anyone who knows me at all would know that I'm not at all type A. I wish I were more type A. I'm taking lessons in type A. I'm trying out for the type A talent show and kinda in the running until my jelly doesn't set and I have twelve cups of crabapple syrup and I just can't shake how pissed I am. Sometimes you have to write things down to realize how ridiculous they are.

So when the tears returned this morning, I called my girl. And she talked me down. And later delivered a People magazine and a peanut butter cookie. Cuz that's all I really need to get a bit of perspective. Just ten minutes of something totally meaningless like photos from Beyonce and Jay Z's trip to Italy. Because sometimes it all feels like so much. It's all so important and so deep and so imperative and so beautiful and strong and scary and rich and I have visions where I trip on the stairs to the laundry room and Solomon flies from my arms and hits the concrete wall and I wonder if I'm totally psychotic and then I remember I'm just a mom who loves her children so fucking fiercely. And it's scary. And I love this life. I love intensity. I love people. I have to go to the dark side sometimes to bring more sense to it all. Cuz this is all I needed. Enough time to drink one glass of wine and eat one chocolate kiss and purge it all on this silly blog. Enough time so that I don't fall asleep and wake up with someone attached to my body. Enough time to brush my teeth before bed, not just conk out with the serial nurser at 8:45, my body too spent to get up from the bed.

I have to say. I love this blog. Would it be the same if I were writing this all in my journal? Maybe. The cathartic value would be the same. But the satisfaction of knowing that one person might actually read this and get me, that's huge. Because I need to be got. So there it is. Sometimes it's really hard. But it's always really, really good. As in tremendous. And huge. And remarkable. And vibrant. And now.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

dude.
i have stayed up way too late every night this week. and i don't can shit, much less crab apples plucked from trees in my own yard . . .our details differ but the feelings sure are the same!

the blog is therapeutic, isn't it? and FREE (!), which i love. consider yourself *got*

perhaps we catch each other por telefono mamita . . .
love you!

Janine Evans said...

I get you!
It *is* hard. SO hard sometimes.
I have to admit I've really edited myself on my blog because for some reason I'm too chicken to let it all hang out - especially the hard stuff - but you inspire me.
One glass of wine and one chocolate kiss?!?! How do you do it? LOL
There have been nights where I have 3 beers and a bowl of ice cream because I have some delusion that I deserve it after a tough day with a 3 year old who has suddenly decided to lose her halo and a baby who doesn't want to be put down because the world is so interesting...
hmmmm I feel a post coming on.
Anyway, I'm sorry about your crabapple jelly - funny what breaks the camel's back sometimes, eh?

Elke said...

Girl, hear me this:
I GET YOU.

elke

LauraT said...

I get you, too, dear, sweet, hormonal, exhausted, and amazingly beautiful Gillie! The mornings I woke up and walked around for months in a fog of God-knows-what I was so tired and spent from just pouring a glass of milk aren't that far removed from me. That part of your blog post I related most to most was the frustration of all that effort that went into that 12 cups of %$#@crabapple jelly and now it's all wasted. Ugh! So frustrating! Next time...next year...next decade...at least you got a peanut butter cookie out of it. Yum. Love you, Laura