Tuesday, September 14, 2010

our fall


We made it through the first week of school! I couldn't really reflect while I was in it because it all felt so big and full and topsy turvy. But here we are on week two, day two, and it seems we're kinda catching the groove. I love working part time. It gives me time to use my brain in a sort of organized, focused way and be out in the world. The flexibility that living so close gives me is awesome. Sometimes life offers you little gifts. Not sending Solomon to daycare is one of those little gifts. Having him at home is an excellent way to spend our hard earned cash.

Speaking of earning cash, I am so proud of my hubby in his new role. He is taking his jobs as father, teacher, husband, and administrator all so seriously. He celebrated a birthday on Friday.


After a last minute babysitter bail (what is this trend?) we were able to find someone in a pinch who would watch a whole posse of toddlers. That let us have a triple date with two of our couple BFF's and the babes. We so rarely go out, let alone out with our friends who have children. It was perfect. We came home to four toddlers in jammies, popsicle sticks strewn about, toys everywhere. I love our village.

It was a true village weekend. The sun was bright and the mountains clear. Everyone was downtown celebrating this glorious fall and I felt so thankful to be a part of it all. Festivals abound in this town and I'm quite certain there is no such thing as too much facepaint or live music or free empanadas.




Back on the homefront, brother is making tremendous changes. He is attempting to find his voice in our loud home.

Sometimes while he can't be heard, he can be seen. He flips his body around on the colored playmat, kicks and splashes like a banshee in the bath and eats rice cereal like a champ.


I have a sense that while Eliana is my auditory learner, brother may be my kinesthetic one. Watch out.

And while he's decided that he needs to nurse for like two hours before he'll settle into a five or six hour bout of nighttime sleep, I'm deciding that it's just his thing. The same way I used to rock Eliana for hours and sing her show tunes, brother likes a dimly lit room and lots and lots of boob time. It forces me to slow down, and even affords me some reading time. I'm not going to worry about where he'll go when he outgrows his bassinet. This is the routine right now. The goal is staying focused on each bit of the day, being wholly present in all the in's and out's.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

oh my he is so big and delicious! i love the rolling photos!
glad your bubby had a good birthday and that you are settling in so quickly . . . love you guys!