Friday, March 25, 2011

the room


So it's been a week with both kiddos in the same bedroom. Funny, funny shit. Super sweet. Super freaky. Like they talk a lot to each other. And Elie hops in and out of his crib, bringing him all sorts of random stuff from the room. Then when I go in to tell them to knock it off, she flies back in her bed, pulls up her comforter, and pretends to be asleep. Her bro gives her away because he's laughing hysterically. He laughs so hard, he literally makes himself fall over. He side splits himself. It's too funny. I don't even want to break them up because I want to keep listening from the other side of the door. I should set up a video monitor. I love being lurky.

And then at night, even though Elie doesn't seem to wake up when Sol starts his midnight chat fests, I totally freak and am there in a flash. And then it seems all he wants to do is nurse and nurse and grab my face and do the one armed slap all over my person until I'm freaking out about going back to bed and he won't seem to get calm but I don't want to put him in his crib and let him cry cuz I don't want him to wake Els. And there we are. And somehow we get through until morning. And coffee saves me again. Coffee and exercise. And I wonder if there's some weird addiction I have that maybe others share. Running on empty addiction. Like if you just keep moving, it'll all be okay.

Speaking of coffee and exercise, my girl Aimee took some gorgeous pictures of Sol the other morning. It was a pseudo photo shoot to go with a little article that I have coming out about 108 sun salutations. The same 108 sun salutations I did last Sunday for the spring equinox. And it was awesome. I have become so much stronger, I can hardly believe it's the same me. I love that post-baby, oh-yeah-this-is-who-I-am thing that happens when your kiddos get close to a year. Your body reclaims herself. Your muscles are back. And it's all even cooler than before because it's all been to heck and then some.



While our little house is, well, little, it's lovely being here. I have such love for every last random object, every color on the wall. Tomorrow night my all-star, A number one favorite lady arrives for a quick little spring time action in the basement, her little lair. Ah, SisDawg. In the flesh. I can't even believe how lucky I am to have a sister as cool as the Dawg. And she even loves me too.

I wonder how the hell our night will go. If I were smart, I'd go to sleep now, try to get a solid two or three before the madness begins. But this is my sacred, quiet, nobody needs me or is touching me or is talking to me time. The white noise disco is open and rockin' and I wanna get mine. Mines.

I heart ghetto slang.

I also heart my little walking boy. The way he weaved, tonight, between the tables at the restaurant, soaking up the glory of all those admiring patrosn. How old is he? they'd ask. Wow! That's pretty young to be walking like that. I'd smile. He'd smile. We'd smile. And then I was off and running, chasing him up stairs and around waiters with big, full trays who couldn't help but smile at the tiny boy and his strong, determined legs.

And then there's CelieBop. With her new favorite euphamism, "Right?!"
You are Dana and Whitney's teacher, right? But they're my friends, right? And your friends, too, right? We're all friends! Friends, friends, right!

And it just keeps coming...

Auntie Hilary's coming, right? She's my auntie, right? But your sister, right? And Queenie's my sister! We both have sisters! Sisters, sisters! But I have Auntie Kelly, too. And Auntie Wendy. And Auntie Alison. Aunties, aunties! But you don't have any aunties? Do you? Do you have aunties...we both have aunties! Aunties, aunties! We both have aunties! (Elie's big on lots of repetition for added emphasis...)

So much love in her little heart these days. She's shedding her dark layers and I thank the good lord for that. And when she does get freaky with me, she apologizes. Ah, the ability to reflect. It's important, right! Makes us see more clearly, right! Understand and appreciate and take it all in.

And while I'm bragging, her Espanol is outta hand. She can run a whole little faux circle time in Spanish, replete with copious tambiens and buenos, spoken just like a native speaker. She adores her teachers, adores the whole shebang. And being back in the 'hood makes it all so seamless. The stroller to door trek ridiculously simple, especially now that I'm all seasoned and everything. I love how much better we get at our jobs. How a bit of time can tweak the whole perspective. And settling into roles. That's another thing I like. Letting time ease you into a new phase.

Happy spring, right?

1 comment:

LauraT said...

Ahh time....the great revealer and healer in many ways. Sounds like this things are looking a little brighter. Yeah!