Monday, May 2, 2011

ceremony

I saw Jeannie today for the first time since our six week check-up. It kinda felt like going home. You develop such an intense relationship with a midwife. I hopped up on the table like I was at an old friend's house. Jeannie was so kind. Told me that she's done over a thousand births and doesn't remember many, but can remember Sol's perfectly. That made me feel pretty special. Made me savor those memories even more.

I'm having a little party for him tomorrow. Of course, while it's 60 degrees and sunny now, the forecast for tomorrow is cool and rainy. The lilac tree I bought to plant with his placenta sits on my picnic table. And while the weather perhaps won't be ideal for the kind of ceremony I want, I'm going to go with it anyway.

Planning gatherings can be a challenge in our small town. We have so many friends, old and new. Jeff and I decided we wanted this party to be about Sol. About the few friends he's made, the people who have grown to love him and the people who helped bring him into the world. It's a party more focused on his birth, my birthing day, and then how things fell into place from there. And even though I've been fairly discerning about invites, I still will be making something special for twenty or so friends to dine on tomorrow.

The fridge is packed. The house a disaster. I'm tuckered and need to take a few minutes to sit. Then it's off to grate carrots for a cake, whip butter with cream cheese, marinate the pork. Because life is about ceremony. And he's only one once.

No comments: