Sunday, July 17, 2011

birthday week






I've always been a believer in making celebrations last as long as they can. That concept has sparked the notion of a birthday week. And Els embraced hers like a champ. Birthday week found us back in the swing of all things summer in Montana. A spontaneous day up at Snowbowl for pizza and meandering and, gulp, the super scary chairlift ride (scary for me, not for the kids).



A daddy-daughter date to the Osprey game, where Eliana learned her first lesson about birthday experiences versus birthday gifts.



Eliana's first summer camp. She biked herself there...


And spent the afternoons in the yard with her two best friends, the hose and her bro. Oh, and ice-cream. Sol's new best friend is ice-cream.


Eliana finally found herself on the big day. A morning spent unwrapping presents sent from her far-away loved ones.

A mama-daughter birthday date at the Farmer's market where she got to have her face painted and pick out whatever treats she wanted (all those delicious handmade goods and she chose a Sponge Bob popsicle from Captain Hooks truck...). And finally, a trip to the carousel with her daddy and brother where she aced everyone in line and found herself on Paint. We kinda pretended not to know her....but she certainly knows how to get what she wants. The second time she tried to race to the front, she was busted and sent to the back of the line. Watch out, world. Here she is.

And this morning, over breakfast...

Do you need help cutting your french toast, Els?
No, that's okay, I can do it myself because I'm four.

Well, what are you going to cut it with?
A knife.

Can I get you a knife.

No, thanks, I can do it myself. I'm four now.


While sawing away...

Mama, I had the best dream last night! I was at Biga Pizza with my family and I had on my birthday hat and I was blowing out my candle, because I'm four!


Happy birthday to my beautiful, strong, spirited, bright, incredible four year old. Thank you for bringing out the best in us all. Thank you for teaching me more than I ever could have imagined.

3 comments:

dig this chick said...

Love her. That little conversation over cutting french toast made me tear up! xo

Melissa said...

love this post.
so interesting, this development thing--our friend's boy just turned 4 saturday also and has been saying the same "because i'm 4 now" thing. ah, there's a light at the end of the 0-3 tunnel!

that photo of her with the hose is so gorgeous--
love you guys!

DudeFace said...

Way to rock the bike commute, Eliana!