Wednesday, September 17, 2008

just say yes



Life in Montana is truly luxurious. Yes, the economy is bad, but the days are rich, and the opportunities for pleasure and recreo, ample. These pictures were taken barely forty eight hours ago, and it already feels like a lifetime. My weeks are busy and hectic. I've been battling an ugly back-to-school cold and feel extra run down. But I had an opportunity to go out with my dear friends, Bri and Joellen, on Bri's sailboat on Flathead Lake on Sunday.

The joke is...I almost said no.

I knew already that I had a bit of a bug. I was so glad to have an uninterrupted weekend with Eliana. She was sleeping way better with her mama putting her down and I knew how glad she was to have some q.t. with me. On Saturday night I told Jeff that I was going to call my girls and decline. I was too tired. I needed a day to catch up and vacuum and hang my clothes up in my closet and make applesauce with the gazillion apples on my tree.

But Jeffy, being the knowledgeable and fair husband who knows me only too well, said to not decline until the morning.

Sunday I woke up feeling fabulous. I busted out some cherry-jalapeno jam and cleaned the kitchen. Check. Two items done in a fraction of the time. I think I almost felt like I had to earn my right to a day of leisure on the boat. This is such a ridiculous notion. Ask my husband or any of his boyfriends if they feel they have to "earn" a day skiing or climbing or biking with random (and fairly unnecessary) household duties. I guarantee that they'd all laugh. They work hard. They play hard. Simple as that.

But it wasn't just the chores. It really wasn't the chores at all. I actually despise chores. It was the Peanut. It was just hanging with her. It was nursing whenever she wanted. It was getting on the floor and snuggling her guys and reading The Belly Button Book. I wasn't sure if a day on the lake was worth more to me than a day with my girl.

Reflection: when in doubt, just say yes. These opportunities to be with girlfriends, to be adventurous, to have a whole day without anyone needing you, are few and far between. The luxury of drinking champagne and feasting on cheeses and fresh focaccia, homemade salsas and bruchettas, of gabbing with girlfriends and watching the light play on that insane and immense lake, was an absolute gift. Besides, Eliana took one of the longest naps she had in weeks and Jeff adored spending the whole day with her. Win, win.

So here I am - it's only Wednesday. I went food shopping during my lunch break because we were so out of provisions. I've done two loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, made pesto and put the recycling where it belongs since picking up Eliana after work this afternoon. In an hour, I return to MIS for Back-to-School Night. I'll attempt to sound eloquent, relaxed yet capable, while I present my literacy program to a room full of parents. I'll answer their inquiries and share books and materials. I'll return to K (the god given babysitter), my sleeping child, and the utter exhaustion which seems to be my companion after nine o'clock these days.

Then...I'll remember the sunshine on the water, the feel of the wind, the laughter of my girlfriends. That another weekend is only two days away. That fall is warm and gorgeous and the leaves still haven't turned.

And the last thought I'll have is of my little girl, her dimples, her sweet little walk, the way she rubs my cheek and holds her head close to my chest after a long day away. I'll remember the balance that seems to make this all work out.

4 comments:

Casey said...

you always bring me to tears, gillian. i love the cyclical nature of your posts and the way you strive for balance. i get so much more out of our friendship than you even know. xx

Gillian said...

right back at ya, girlfriend.

Jess said...

I haven't seen Eliana in so long! Man, she's just as gorgeous as you are! Yes, this blogging is fun. I really enjoy your posts. I'm touched by and concur with all your thoughts on life as a mom. Hope to see you guys sooner than later... Jessica

Anonymous said...

I think that must be Gillie thinking vs. Sonia thinking: I am thinking "when in doubt say 'no'... I am the cautious one. But what an idyllic day on the lake ...cheese and wine and friends – wow!