Saturday, September 20, 2008

the new perfect




It seems that the older I get, the simpler I become. Or, at least, the simpler the things are that keep me happy. I was the kinda girl who used to do a million things in a day. I've always been a bit of a go getter. And I know it's cliche, but having a baby really does make you settle and appreciate. Like my day...

It's been a hell of a week. Work was intense and I was battling a nasty bug while Eliana not only picked up my goobers, but a case of pink eye to boot. I've felt worn down with an old lady's hacking cough, hair in desperate need of a cut (and what to do with them pesky grays?) and too much on my plate. But this morning I woke up with a bit of a spring in my step. I knew that Jeff would be leaving around noon for an overnight in the wilds of Montana, his first attempt to bring home an elk this season. I had a few hours before Pea and I had some true hunkering down time, so I made the most of it. I took Lucy up to the "L" and felt thrilled that I had some of my old stamina back (I've felt like a walking zombie with this illness and exercise has sounded awful). I then hopped on my bike and headed to the market to buy myself something special for dinner. A perfect leg of lamb later (raised on that same hill I climbed earlier that morning), and I was all set for my day.

made lots of, "With Eliana down, I decided to take up some pending business with the exuberant apple tree in my front yard. I've never made applesauce, but I figured the price is right, and god knows I buy a ton of the stuff with the Pea. I was kinda nervous about making the sauce and read up a bit on line. I'm kinda like a mad scientist in the cocina. Always have been (ask my mom about when I made paella after my summer abroad when I was 17 -- let's just say, I insisted on using a whole chicken with the "insides" like they did in Madrid....). I didn't exactly grow up in a "domestic" sort of environment. I didn't even know what "canning" was when I moved to Montana. I was 28. It's been a fast and furious learning curve for this city girl.

Anyway, the applesauce turned out just great and I didn't even have to peel the apples or use any of the fancy canning stuff that I don't have. Eliana made lots of "uummm!" sounds and ate two bowls full. So there. First accomplishment.

Feeling kinda cool about myself after the success of the applesauce, I decided to deal with the crabapple tree on the other side of my property. I've heard that crabapple jelly is swell, and I hate to see all those pretty little red babies fall to the ground. I did more research and found some wild recipe which requires letting the apple juice (after they've cooked a while) seep into a pot overnight. And guess what those lil babies are doing now???

And then the crowning glory of my day. The mint jelly. I'm kinda a lamb nut, and knowing that I was going to make myself a special dinner, I wanted the perfect condiment (I'm a condiment fool too). I've tried making mint jelly before. In fact, I tried making mint jelly in Cali with my mom and my sisters. I tried showing them how 'down home-country kitchen-I-live-in-Montana' I was a few summers back. I'm pretty decent at making jam. I make it every summer with the cherries and peppers from my garden. I can do it. But of course, when I tried to make jam in L.A. with the mint from my sister's yard, I basically ended up making mint syrup. After I'd run around to like a million places because they don't sell canning stuff at the markets there and you have to go to Michael's (I can't believe I'm mentioning that damn place again...I must secretly love it) and I was so psyched to show those girls that you can, indeed, make your own jam, and I totally failed. So I was apprehensive about the mint jelly. It's a bit different because you're dealing with an "infusion" not actual pieces of fruit. Anyhoo...

I made the infusion. I added the sugar. I did all the boiling, all the while working very quickly and efficiently because Pea was napping. I poured it in the jars. And it totally looked like mint syrup. As sissy would say, "double dog dang!" I got a little bit more down on myself than normal. I still had the crazy mess of crabapples seeping into the pot. There were cherrios on the floor. There were sticky applesauce spoons that I hadn't cleaned. I felt sorta like a grubshedding poser. I was so excited to have a successful country kitchen kinda day, and I had failed at the jelly again.

Sweetness woke up in a bit of a foul way, which isn't like her. She was probably bummed about the jelly. Or her goopy eyes. Or her god awful diarrhea and crusty nose. I nursed her to happiness (how am I ever going to wean this child?) and realized she was quite hungry. So we reentered the lab. She downed this lovely chicken/broccoli/rice puree that I'd made the other day. I got ready to grill my chop. We feasted and I poured mint syrup on my lamb, sad that it wasn't the jelly I so love, but happy because it was sweet and minty and delicious anyway.

Then it was a long love bath together. Eliana's new favorite thing is tickling my belly button. I'm actually quite ticklish and she really does make me giggle and jump. We played with her bath toys and she tried to throw the soap into the water while I tried to save it. We then read, nursed, and I put her down.

With Elie asleep, I headed back to the lab to make myself some tea. I picked up one of the golden glass jars of minty delight. And it had actually gelled! I did it. I made mint jelly. And I know it sounds ridiculous, but these small domestic accomplishments, these things that I do on my own that no one really cares about but me, are so damn satisfying. There's something about just hanging in the house all day with my sweetie, making good things with the bounty of now for later on, with my husband in the wilderness scouting elk no less, that seems to just feel so right to me. I don't really know how I ended up here. And I'll tell ya, I would have never in a million years predicted that my life would go this way and I wouldn't be living in London or New York, Madrid or L.A.. But here I am, in Missoula. In a little house with a couple of fruit trees, a baby sleeping happily in her hand me down crib, and a counter top lined with beautiful jars of food. And I really couldn't be happier.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I totally remember the mint syrup, the trip to Michael's for jars, etc. You were super prego with little El! Time flies. . . you are awesome in the kitchen. I wish we could come eat lamb with mint jelly with you. xoxo

dig this chick said...

Awe, g. What a great day with a happy ending. I am also glad you landed in our valley. kiss.

Anonymous said...

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading your jelly story and imagining you in the lab. And I love that Melissa remembered the mint jelly incident, too. You are a gifted Missoula Mama cook and writer.