Monday, December 17, 2007

holy monday!

The whole family is zapped, though it's just another Manic Monday.

Whoa. Another crazy Monday in Babyland. After our morning rush routine (why does time always seem to be moving along just fabulously, so I decide to make a second pot of coffee, decide to put my hair in braids, decide to see if my red jeans finally fit...and then suddenly, time has sped up substantially, and I'm suddenly frantically trying to get Eliana in all her layers so we can get out the door when she decides to make a mega-poo and I'm racing through another diaper change and the clock continues to tick and there's ice on the windshield, etc., etc.), I did a superstar teacher routine. I try to have the kids write letters for important causes about once a year, usually around the holidays, as an example of a way to take action and give back. So today we were writing letters to the presidents of the Hilton Hotel Chain, trying to get persuade them not to build a mega resort on Bimini Island and subsequently destroy the mangroves and all the fauna that exist there. I had enough caffeine in my system to really get fired up and pull the whole preacher at the pulpit routine, rousing the students to write ardent, well-informed, heartfelt letters to these two fools, so we can send them to their Beverly Hills high-rise office at the end of the week. Feeling like I'd put my little mark in for positive change for the day, I left work remembering why I've always enjoyed teaching in the first place. This is a particularly important feeling for me to remember these days, as I do still veer towards the whole throw-the-career-towel-in more often than I'd like to admit. Moving right along. Then shortly after retrieving Eliana, I had to drive her across town (which is kinda a big deal around here...any drive longer than ten minutes is really a doozy in our house...) to get her hearing screened. Now, as most of you know, I don't exactly hear well. So I've been putting off this whole hearing thing since the day after she was born when my pediatrician urged that I get it done ASAP. Five months later and I finally made the move. Well, not only did Elie charm the pants off the audiologist who said she's never seen a baby smile so beautifully, and sit so still, while having a little cordy dealie bop put in her ear, she passed the test with flying colors in both ears. Phew! I can only imagine what odd traits I could pass on to my little girl. Having her pass this test was a godsend. Then we had to rush to my audiologist to check my little mics. Of course, my left one is acting up just in time for the holidays! But, really, it's much better than Elie failing her test - I'll take my hearing issues any day. So we then got all saddled up in the car, again, by this time the snow was really coming down and Elie was laughing and tripping on the back windshield as the wet, white drops fell. I could feel that she was getting really sleepy, and sure enough, by the time we walked in the house, she was arching her back and rubbing her eyes. So mommy planted herself in the rocker for a good "nurse and sleep", a sure bet way to get the little princess to take a time out. At five fifteen it was wake up, as mama was determined to get to her five thirty yoga class. She gave Eliana a top off, passed her to dad, and rushed out the door. After restorative asanas and a good sweat, I raced to the burrito joint to pick up dinner. Then it was back to a fussy, hungry little girl. Even though I too was ravenous, I fed her first and then snarfed my own delicious dins. I then gave Els a bath, her daddy dressed and swaddled her, and I again took my post in the rocker, for a bedtime nurse. Now she sleeps soundly in her bucket (even though her long legs are now touching the end...she's just about outgrown the thing, though I can't imagine what we'll do when she does...) and I'm treating myself with a little glass of red wine and a small dish of Ben and Jerry's half baked frozen yogurt. Life is good. Busy and full and fabulous.

No comments: