Monday, December 24, 2007

snowbowl

The view from the chairlift is equal parts amazing and terrifying for this new mama....

so i did it. i went skiing. for real. and now it's chrismas eve and there's so much more to write about but, it's important that i give this ski thing a moment of my attention. because going down that big, snowy, white, intimidating mountain, took just about all i had out of me. i was terrified. there were times where i just froze up and told jeff i couldn't do it anymore. and then i'd make half a dozen perfect, parallel turns and feel super snazzy about myself. at which point some yahoo snowboarder would, like, fly over my head and get my face all snowy and i would kind of cower and freeze up and forget everything i'd just done. at one point i started telling myself to breathe like i did when i was giving birth. i figured if i could do it then, and produce a whole live baby without drugs, i could certainly get back to the damn lodge to finally see my own. i swear. something about that scenario brings up all the anxieties and fears and traumas that lurk way down deep inside of me. i felt like i was three, sitting at the top of a really long slide in the park, afraid to let go of the metal railings and lose control. but the idea of my little girl kept me going. thinking of how i now have the power to give her the chutzpah to become a rockin' little mountain mama, to soar on her own down these nutty slopes, to be brave and bold and never, ever experience the terror i felt on saturday, as a 33 year old, fairly accomplished woman. i have the power to teach my daughter to fly.

2 comments:

Roseann and Mort said...

While you were out skiing coquering your fear, Grandpa Morty introduced to every one in the chalet and Nana roseann was all over herself just cooing, holding
and putting to sleep our little princess. The Shannons, Grillo family joined us too. Solan took a ski lesson and his Dad was the best juggling both children.
Jeriamah was a doll, slept most of the time and Mommy knew just when she was needed (milk Let down)

Roseann and Mort said...

Happy New Years to my must marvelous daughter Gillian and my love of my life Jeff of cause along with Kelli and Mort