Monday, August 11, 2008

bikes ahoy!










Jeff and I finally got our family bike trailer all set up. Well, I went to REI and bought the part and Jeff did the set up! We're good with gender roles over here...Anyway, I have to say that biking with Eliana is one of the funnest things I've done in a long time. It just sort of tops off the bike revolution I've already been having this summer. For those of you who live in Missoula, I know, it's no big deal, everyone bikes here, whatever. But I'm an L.A. girl. Biking is still incredibly novel for me. Just in the six weeks or so, my confidence on my bike has soared. I keep setting up more intricate biking errand systems for myself, little challenges, if you will. I've realized that doing errands on a bike makes doing errands infinitely more fun. Plus you get exercise, but it doesn't even feel like exercise!

Yesterday Jeff, Eliana, Lucy and myself packed up for a family bike and picnic up the Rattlesnake. It was a perfect August day, breezy and cool. Eliana did spectacularly in her bike trailer, even when we flew over bumpy downhill bits. I felt like a super badass because I've never ridden my bike on anything but cement (city girl that I am...). While we didn't make it all the way to our eight mile goal, we did make it half way, enjoyed a splendid picnic in the wilderness, and all returned feeling that fabulous high of exhausted exuberance that only great physical activity can bring. Bikes ahoy!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

that is way cute. it kinda makes my day!

Anonymous said...

I think I would like to ask Hil to drive me around in one of those! Eli must simply love those rides. Tally ho!