Thursday, August 7, 2008

sissy



So much is happening so fast. A quick update from last post is that I'm feeling infinitely better. I think part of my issue was the fact that I basically didn't exercise for a week while we were away. I need to let those endorphins out or I go a little bit batty. I tend to work out a lot of my issues when I move. Being back in the dance studio teaching this week has been such a gift. I am so blessed to be teaching in the most gorgeous, new studio this summer. My classes are filled with splendid, strong women who bring so much light and fun into my life.

One of the greatest treats of my summer came mid way through my "World Rythm Yoga" class a week or so ago. I was going about my teaching, busting our way through sun salutations while the multi-ethnic tunes of all my lady friends boomed through the kickin' sound system when, lo and behold, the most beauteous sight calmly walked in the room. She smiled, as humbly as ever, found a yoga mat and joined in. It was sissy, as gorgeous as always, coming straight to my class after driving the seven hours from Seattle to pay us a little visit. How special is this?

To have sissy with me in a dance studio, well, that's just the best. Not only has she had a hell of a year due to a knee injury and subsequent surgery, we don't ever have the chance to dance together anymore. And that's after a childhood of playing, "Fame" and making our families sit through endless hours of choreography and performances, a high school filled with musicals and rehearsals, college years filled with the same and then, even, my brief stint in the early years of Lineage, sissy's modern company. Dance has been this consistent thread that has run, or dare I say leaped and chassed, through our sisterhood. Having her here in Missoula on that beautiful dance floor brought it all back together.

The next evening she was able to come for my whole Afro-Brazilian class. I was almost a little bit embarassed dancing in front of sissy now. She's such a real artist, so insanely talented with tremendous endurance and real technique. I'm all passion, energy and enthusiasm with some smooth moves on the side. Hil is the real deal.

This visit marks Hilary's fourth visit to Missoula since Eliana's been born. How cool is that? And in a week and a half I get to see her again when we rendezvous in NYC for a little love. I've decided to stay the night, see "In the Heights" and the new Bill T. Jones show about Fela Kuti. I'm dying to see this - it's so very up my alley. Thanks to you girls who gave me the thumbs up. I have somehow managed to make lots of time for myself since Jeff came back. I've got dinner dates and dancing dates, tubing dates and sailing dates. Jeffy's telling me to take my time. He doesn't get what the hold up has been. I told him I just had to work out a few kinks in my system, a few of my new mama hormones that seem to keep me totally bound to that little girl.

1 comment:

dig this chick said...

I'm all passion, energy and enthusiasm with some smooth moves on the side.yes you are.