Thursday, August 28, 2008

fall for teachers

Fall for teachers is a uniquely spectacular, mildly terrifying, and certainly jolting time. We go from basking in the simple pleasures of a work free life to hustling through meetings, using our brains to dissect theories and schedules and reading programs, and bustling about to get ready for the roller coaster of a new school year. This week has been a bit of a blur for the Kessler household. It seems that the chaos comes upon us like a sudden blast and lets lose over our whole lil universe. Suddenly the place is a disaster, there are piles of laundry, no groceries in the fridge and no diapers in the basket. I can barely keep my eyes open past eight o'clock and find myself passing out in an achy stupor.

Eliana's done her first week of legitimate, paid, childcare. I realize, once again, how extremely lucky we were to not have to pay for childcare last year. When you leave your child with family, the whole exchange is so relaxed and informal. This morning I found myself writing "the note" for Elie's new babysitter. The note with what she likes to eat and how to put her head on her yellow blankie and not her pink when she's in her crib. I remembered being on the other side of this equation. Remembered a college career of nanny jobs, of shuffling other people's kids off to soccer practices and reading them their favorite stories before bed. Of doing other people's breakfast dishes and making batches of cookies for other families to enjoy.

And now here I am. Leaving a list of "light housework" for my college helper to do if she gets a chance. Here I am, the mama who comes home and wants every detail about her girls day. Exactly how much she ate. Did she poop. Did she get weepy?

Comes home to find them together in the yard, playing with Lucy, the sunscreen perfectly applied to her barely there hair head by someone else. It feels a bit surreal. Don't I look exactly like I did when I was young enough to watch other people's kids? There are lots more gray hairs to be sure, but otherwise, I'm still the same ol' chick. With a whole lot more responsibility. And a whole lot more joy.

Tomorrow is a new day. I'll go and leave Els with her new BFF. We're both growing and needing and remembering when things were a bit more simple.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

i totally wanna know everything about avi's day, too! sweet m always obliges with all the details . . .it is funny to be on the other side of it. i miss you! mucho suerte this week! maybe we can talk soon . . . eliana is just so beautiful, and i love the new look of the blog.