Thursday, January 22, 2009

actually here


So after all the nerves and fear that our nation was nothing but corrupt and dishonest and totally out of sync with the rest of the world, something tremendous happened. Our man was actually sworn in and big bad dub was flown away in a helicopter. Watching the inaugural ceremony on the television with a room full of seven to thirteen year olds was really perfect. They cheered and hoot hollered in the right moments and were silent when they knew things were serious and emotional. Of course, I was nothing but a well of tears, but I think they're used to my sappy crying. They see me cry when they sing, get weepy when the share some beautifully hopeful poem about the rainforest or peace, hear me en fuego when we talk about MLK or discrimination. Seeing me with a little wad of Kleenex is kinda par for the course for these brilliant children.

So there we were, all packed into a classroom, all a bundle of energy and enthusiasm. My husband was there and we were able to exchange a momentous hand squeeze after Obama swore in. I was able to share a weepy glance with another colleague during Aretha's brilliant patriotic rendition. It felt almost more patriotic to be watching this in an elementary school, at a place where we study history and all that makes this world unique and amazing.

And then, almost too quickly, it was time to carry on with the business of the day. Spelling words and library books. Zippers and snow pants.

I was able, luckily, to continue to savor the moment with my friends and greater Missoula community as the night wore on. Perhaps one of the highlights was watching Eliana and Moana dance together, hand in hand, on Tuesday afternoon. Casey and I would like to think that they, too, were celebrating the glory of the day. Also, Jeff's parents generously helped me host a shindig at their lovely house and all my friends turned out in their finest duds (there was even a wedding dress! woohoo!), carrying an array of savory dishes. It again made me feel so much gratitude towards my humble little community. And while there was part of me that couldn't help but have the words, "happy and homogeneous", run through my mind as we moved on to the Elks Club and watched all of liberal, white, Missoula whoop it up, I think that was just because I felt how truly huge this day was and missed the throngs of colorful people and smiles of strangers. We smile at strangers every day here. There are never throngs of colorful people.

But there are lovely people. Lovely and kind and honest and true. I always feel safe and I always feel gracious.
inauguration night

I think sometimes when there is something so brilliant to take in, we have to find a little way to make it not totally perfect.

But I'm over it. Because these are the new days and we are the dreamers of dreams. We have shown what we are capable of and, to quote the ever so fabulous Etta James, as sung by one of my favorite divas, Ms. Beyonce while the lovely president and his even lovelier wife danced at the inaugural ball, "At last." At long last.

2 comments:

dig this chick said...

Loved sharing that night with you! Our chickens have such a bright future.

The wedding dress is back on the hangar but let's make some more excuses to bring it out!

Gillian said...

you were the bell of our ball!
hey, totally stole some of your pics off of fb. hope that's okay!