Monday, March 10, 2008

mommy's big day


Eliana's mama turned the big 3-4 yesterday and couldn't be feeling more lovely about the whole thing. Even though I had a few friends (...young, foolish friends) who sort of gasped when I told them how old I was, for the most part, it just feels right. If they say you only improve with age, then I do indeed feel wiser, smarter, kinder, more balanced, more of a badass, more consistent and more beautiful than ever before. Most of that swell self-esteem comes from being the mama of the best little sweet sauce in the entire universe. We shared such a lovely family day yesterday, starting at the University for the International Festival (where Eliana debuted her 'Miss Saigon' red suit that mama bought for her in Chinatown), and then followed by a three hour hike on Mt. Sentinel in the glorious, big sky, sunshine. I love my birthday because it means the first day of spring is so near and usually my bulbs poke their heads out of the ground to send me a birthday greeting. Well, the bulbs are poking, the sun is shining, my little girl is laughing and loving and so close to scooting forward, and all is well.


Other birthday highlights include, a splendid early dinner at Scotty's Table with my dear hubby (who rocked the gift this year by buying me a bunch of my favorite musicals on DVD to share with my little one - nothing like a sobbing mommy, smiling through her sentimental tears as she sings "I Feel Pretty" and "The Age of Aquarius" to start a girl's day off right!), a kickin' night on the town with the girls at the Red Bird Wine bar, replete with (2!) Malbec flights, a coconut, lemon cake, and lots of wonderful conversation with some of the best lady friend this mama could ask for, dinner last night with Mort and Roseann at the Finn and Porter, looking down at the river, enjoying a mojito, some loud laughs, and some really good pizza, bath with Eliana (the highlight of most any day), and the last disc of Lost on DVD. Simple is fabulous.

No comments: