Saturday, March 1, 2008

a new luxury


it's saturday afternoon, almost 2:00, and i'm indulging. no, i haven't bought a new pair of jeans or taken myself out to a nice lunch. i haven't gone on some victorious hike or been rejuvenating at a yoga class. in fact, i haven't left my house. but i've found a new way to spoil myself - by indulging in eliana. for starters, my sweetheart of a husband got out of bed at seven with the little one and let me sleep until 10:30 (after a funky week of two and four a.m. wake-ups, the sleep was much needed). by the time i got up, elie was already down for her morning nap so i made myself breakfast, took time to drink my coffee, and checked my email. when she woke (with a huge smile at seeing my face looking down into her crib), we played in her room for a while. we sang songs, banged on her radio, sucked on miss spider (well, she did), and ate some snacks. after snacks i realized how disgusting elie was, covered in butternut squash mush and sucked bits on wasa crispbread. so at about 1:00, i drew a bath for the both of us. we played, splashed and soaked. i then nursed her in her chair, not concerned about the time or getting anything else done, and put her down for another nap. the luxury is this. i haven't worried about going grocery shopping or vacuuming our floors. I haven't done laundry or cleaned the bathroom. i've just been trying to be present with my little one, giving her the time and love and focus she so deserves. and in doing so, i find myself settling into the now, this timeless wonder of being in love.

2 comments:

Casey said...

I so share your sentiment and I love that Moana and Richard and I have friends like you and Jeff and Eli who find (and express) the beauty in all of this newness. I'm having the same kind of Sunday as you had Saturday - now reading blogs and emails while Moana is sleeping - and your post warmed my heart. We're so lucky to have you in our lives! Hope to see you this week...

Melissa said...

Yeah! I hear you on this one. Years from now, will we even care (or remember) if our floors were clean? We love you guys. Melis & Avi, checking in from san diego (: