Saturday, March 29, 2008

spring break 2008

Eliana and her parents enjoy the thermal waters at Chico Hot Springs.





Eliana and Jiah enjoy some quality time together...


One of the perks of being a teacher is the vacation time. Jeff and I met when we were both teachers at the same school, almost ten years ago. Since then we have enjoyed many spring and summer break adventures. I remember one year when I met him for a week in Chile. I traveled sola, stopped in almost every Central and South American city on my way to Santiago. Once there, I spent the night on a metal bench, body nestled into my backpack, alone, because I had to catch a commuter plane to Southern Chile the next morning. I was brave, fearless, and loved the spirit of my independence, speaking to local folks, practicing my Spanish, eating exotic foods, and soaking up new cultures.

While I look back on that time with wonder and nostalgia, I can't say I'd love to be doing that now. I am on the tail end of my spring break and haven't been on a plane or walked on an empty, white sand beach. We did manage to drive about four hours away and take in the beauty and wonder of the Paradise Valley, here in our very own exotic state of Montana. We spent a few days in a condo with some friends in Big Sky, skiing and cooking and laughing. Jeff, Eliana and I then ventured to Chico Hot Springs where we had our first, teeny tiny vacation as a family of three.

Pleasure becomes much simpler after you have a baby. There isn't a whole lot that you need. The baby needs to sleep well. You need to sleep well. Good food helps. Good friends. A doting and attentive husband/father is a big plus. Long soaks in hot water is a perk. But really it's the time together, the time in the moment, the loving and giggling and changes that are taking place all the time. Probably the best thing about my spring break was hearing Eliana say, "Ma, Ma, Ma," her new best thing. It breaks my heart in two. And that even trumps the happiness of sipping a pisco sour on some remote island on the thin tip of a far flung continent.

No comments: