Tuesday, June 1, 2010

what a mama of two can do...

What a mama of two can do, when the big girl's asleep and her brother too. Big girl in her crib silent and still, brother strapped to daddy and around the corner at work. And my day opens up like the sky after a storm, how much can one mama do? My girl Leslie blessed me with the gift of herbs for my deck pots -- not just herbs, but her exemplary care planting the herbs while I shuffled about with lil dude in the ergo. Her sweetness inspired me to take my first trip alone in the car with the two chickens. We went to Ace (we needed light bulbs and Elie can be swayed with the free popcorn). And there were flowers to add to my herb pots. So first I added my petunias and geraniums and the process of making my deck look fabulous again continued.

Check inside. Still silence from crib.

Race back out. Finish the weeding project I began yesterday. Haul weeds into giant bin.

Check inside. Silent. Check phone. Text: I'll bring him home when he wakes up.

Race to front yard. Deal with grass that has grown like cornstalks between my lavender and sage, my beds that I used to take such pride in that look like a sea of weeds and disarray. Pull like a madwoman. Fill another huge bin with weeds.

Still quiet. Quick clean the kitchen. Quick wipe down the goobers off the TV and computer with the special cleanser stuff. Quick put the laundry away. Quick wipe down Eliana's chair (equally goober-y). Quick check email. Quick get under bed with broom. Quick realize that I'm going back to teach yoga tonight. Do a sun salutation. Realize I'm pretty tired. Sit down. Write this silly blog post. Only because I can. Only because I'm proud of my efficiency, but beginning to miss the cheerful chaos of children awake.

2 comments:

Janine Evans said...

oh my goodness you're awesome! the "quick check email" is my biggest time sink. ;)
I'm so impressed with you Montana mamas and your gardens!
happy "back to teaching yoga" night!

LauraT said...

Wow! I'm impressed! I bet you slept well, new babe excepted, that night!