Thursday, October 25, 2007

Strangers, Babies and Mama Blogs

Why do babies break all social barriers? While I do miss strangers meeting my gaze and smiling at me on the street (even with baby who attracts way more smiles and glances then I ever did alone, it averages only about 1 in 6 smiles whereas in Missoula it's pretty much a sure thing...yes, I've been counting...I've been walking an awful lot with a sleeping baby, what else am I going to think about?), I don't exactly need them to invade our personal space(s). Today while once again walking the busy, So. Cal streets with Eliana and my amiga, Hollace, we were greeted by an intriguing stranger. A woman stepped off the bus. In her late 50's early 60's, she sported jet black, curly hair (wig perhaps?), tons of necklaces, a leopard print top with some sort of strange, crocheted turtleneck (it was hot as hell out), a crazy amount of smeary make-up, and really gnarly teeth. She had a very heavy accent (we decided she was Armenian) and immediately started in. She reached towards Eliana's bald head (I had just removed her Samuel L. Jackson hat because I was afraid she was hot...bad timing). She asked me how long I planned on breast feeding and then launched into this whole thing about how people shouldn't have babies if they aren't going to breastfeed. I couldn't really follow her logic (duh) but realized she was harmless. She then talked about some other baby she ran into the other day who was super alert and independent because he was breastfed. She also said a lot of other things that I can recap in a way that will do the exchange any justice. Suffice to say that her head (and, may I remind you, atrocious teeth) were mere inches from my daughter as she continued on and on about all she knew about babies and breastfeeding and, really, how I'm doing as a mom. I'm glad she has me all figured out! It made for a fun moment, the only real negative of the whole thing being that I didn't have my camera to capture this extraordinary woman. Note to nursing brain...always carry camera (what kind of lameo blogger am I anyway?).

Which brings me to my next topic. Mommy blogs. So I won't get too into it, but, as I've mentioned throughout this blogolicious journey, I'm not really a computer gal. I honestly had only seen one blog before I set this one up. The whole thing was a way for me to teach myself how to do something on the computer and not be so reliant on my husband to be the technology whiz (he wears way too many other whiz hats in the house...I kinda needed to take back the night on my ability to figure things out on my own). So blah, blah, I have the blog, I like to write, I send my ramblings out to the universe and it's all fine.

Until I go to the blogs of real mommy bloggers. These ladies always use capitals (did anyone notice who is pressing her shift key tonight?) They only post cool, artistic photos. They have crazy little sections all over the screen and know how to send people to other web sites and blogs. They are funny and witty and smart and cool. I kind of hate these mommies and their precious, snazzy, little baby blogs.

I stayed up til 1:30 in the morning reading and feeling like I could never post again due to how inept and amateurish my little site is. But then today on my morning walk, I worked through it. This is not for cyberland. I don't care if I'm not getting paid and "Boppy" doesn't have corporate sponsorship and ridiculous little pop-up ads appearing on my page (but can you image how cool it would be to get paid to baby blog?). I'm doing this mainly for myself, lots for Eliana, and then also lots for our friends and family who can't share in our daily adventures. So there. I'm sure I'll continue to sneak time reading the other mommy blogs and be greeted with those same feelings of envy all over again. But really, like anything, it's a simple joy in a crazy world and we just have to do all we can to keep it real, and keep it our own.

No comments: