Wednesday, May 5, 2010

solomon lands on earth, day one




I couldn't feel more blessed right now. My baby is being safely snuggled in his Nana's arms.


My girl is painting in the kitchen, contentedly listening to, "Free to be You and Me." My husband is taking a much needed shower. And I can reflect on the beautiful past 24 hours.

The birth was tremendous. It feels like a much simpler story than Eliana's. Shorter. Simpler. Different. I guess that's a story for a bit later though.




But for now...this boy is marvelous. He's so sweet. So serene. Such a good little nurser and so happy in anyone's arms. Yesterday we left the cocoon of our house to bring him to the pediatrician. After sharing our birth story with Dr. Judy and having our son checked and admired, we decided to milk the time without Happy Sad. We found ourselves at Scotty's for lunch, toasting our son who slept in my arms. It was the end of the lunch shift and the restaurant was quiet and clean and perfect. Jeff and I were ready to move in.

Els joined us later in the day and we were able to get through a pretty normal evening routine. Els and I did bath and books, though when Solomon wanted to nurse about 45 minutes into the bedtime ritual, I was totally ready to jump ship. And Els was not down with that. I love Eliana more than anything in the world, but she is a big girl compared to this little guy. He is so new, so barely outside of my body (and, for the record, how elated am I that he's finally out of my body?). He nurses and my uterus cramps. He cries and everything else stops. We are still one. Happy Sad is very much her own rockin' and rollin' creature. With her own happy sad needs and moods. It's going to be a bit bumpy and thoroughly fine.

Now it's just time to milk this. Milk the fact that I came home from work on Monday and birthed this baby before I went to sleep. It was so freakin' cool. Amazing. Tremendous. After all that worry and anxiety, all those what it's and could be's. We're all doing just fabulous. And that's what I need to focus on.




10 comments:

TRB Holt said...

Congratulations to you all!

He is beautiful!!!
xo, Terri Holt, (Nici's mom)

dig this chick said...

oh tears! I love you and your family. So glad to have the privilege to raise my kids with you and yours in this town. xo

Kelle said...

Congratulations, Gillian! He is beautiful and I've anxiously been awaiting his birth. I cannot wait to read the story of his entrance. Wishing you and your family so much peace in these first nurturing weeks of drinking it all in. Cheers to Solomon!

Anonymous said...

you're such a badass!!!! i am so happy for you and your family. and solomon is damn cute! that's not always the case with those newborns. you look gorgeous and radiant, you fabulous woman and mama!

much love.

Melissa said...

yay yay yay.

oh, i love that viddy. and the photos, and hearing about such bliss.

so happy for all y'all.

you look so beautiful and serene at your st lunch.

much love to you guys!

Janine Evans said...

Congratulations!!! Solomon. What a cool name. He's one lucky little guy.

Hollace said...

Um, if that were a two hour feature film, I would watch it. I LOVE seeing HER navigate the world of HIM. Bravo all! Can't wait to meet S-man.

Gillian said...

Thanks for all your lovely words! So appreciate everyone who supports our us!
Come one, come all, come meet Solomon!

Julie Harris said...

Tears are rolling down my cheeks and I just caught my breath... beautiful, Gillie! The baby, Els, the whole story... congratulations!

LauraT said...

I love the big glass of wine on the table! You go, girl! You look fabulous and that little Solomon - oh, so precious! Laura