Monday, May 17, 2010

two weeks





We've arrived at that magical two week mark. That place where you are allowed to resume normalcy. Where there is sort of a swing of it to get back into. Pregnancy begins to feel like a distant memory. We have taken 148 pictures since Mother's Day and I can see both Eliana and Solomon age with each shot. See Eliana softening into her role as a big sister. See us relaxing a bit, letting her hold him, letting her just be her wild and wacky self.


My mom has been here for almost a week and that has been a tremendous help. She's big on the early morning patrol which allows me some extra hours of rest. She and Eliana love to play with her babies and have made some mighty batches of peanut butter play-doh. She holds the babe when Eliana's sleeping so I can do things (like this blog post). We even made it to Costco today and restocked my fridge so that I can slowly re-resume my role as household meal planner. The future seems way less daunting.

I think I'm going to be able to embrace this stay at home mama gig for a bit. When I realized last night that it hadn't even occurred to me that today was Monday, I saw how quickly one can let go of the five day a week work schedule. Especially when you get to settle into something as cool as new baby lovefest. And as a second time mom, the whole thing feels way less daunting and anxiety producing, more about loving the moments and less about calculating hours of sleep or lengths of nursings.

I am head over heels in love with my little guy. He continues to be very mild-mannered, super into his mama, the boob, and tripping out on shadows and light. He is a big coo-er, grunter and moaner - ever the sensualist. He's strong and sturdy and super manly through and through.


His sister and I have also managed to have some good times, though she still has all sorts of new and weird behaviors that seem directly correlated to Baby Bro's birth. Thank god for Jeff and "Daddy Daughter Days". They are super BFF right now and that is totally cool with me and the lil guy! We'll sit and do our mellow, grunty, milky thing while they play tag and Boots and Dora all over the rest of the house. We are a legitimate family now, always busy fulfilling our duties for our kiddos.

3 comments:

LauraT said...

What a pleasure to read your blog and see you enjoying your "lovefest." It is true that we fall in love with our babies (very few things are as intensely wonderful - ever wonder why I had six?!)And Eliana is doing just fine. The whole stay at home mom gig can feel like a gooey, sleepy, lazy river where time really does float by - or come to a complete standstill with boredom.But that's ok!Makes you appreciate going to Costco. Whoo! Hoo! It's all good.

Kelli said...

Wow Gil! Awesome pictures and writing. So freakin cute! He is so manly seeming, his head looks almost the size of Ellie's! I'll try to call soon

Melissa said...

i love this post! those photos of S are delicious.

dude, i can't imagine avi acting out *more* since he has been a tantrumming fool lately . . . but he's also just the sweetest love of my life so what can i do? something about boys. i love hearing about how things are unfolding.