Tuesday, January 15, 2008

independence


a beautiful thing is happening between eliana and her mama. we are starting to find our independence, eliana for the first time, me, well, i guess i'm re-discovering. i felt it this morning while she was in her exersaucer, getting her morning workout. she was all the way in the living room, and i was all the way in the kitchen. usually i would keep her closer to me. but she was actually out of my eyesight for a good fifteen minutes, completely self contained. when i came back in the room with my coffee and called her name, she turned her head and gave me the most gorgeous, absolutely contented smile. then she hopped her little feet around to face me and we stared at each other like long lost lovers for a good couple of minutes. later i put her in her crib, while i got myself dressed. she used to cry and whine if i left her for too long, but today, she just played with her toys, pulling on her alligator, pushing the buttons on her radio, twisting her funky ball in her fingers. it's the most beautiful thing to watch. to watch her find her way.

No comments: